Privacy & Security
This policy was last updated on May 30th, 2018.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Maintaining the security of your data is a priority at Wood Life, and we are committed to respecting your privacy rights. We pledge to handle your data fairly and legally at all times. Wood Life is also dedicated to being transparent about what data we collect about you and how we use it.
This policy, which applies whether you visit our stores, use your mobile device or go on line, provides you with information about:
1) HOW WE USE YOUR DATA
2) WHAT PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT?
3) HOW WE PROTECT YOUR DATA
4) WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP PROTECT
5) YOUR DATA
6) YOUR RIGHTS
6) LEGAL BASIS FOR USING DATA
8) CONTACT INFORMATION
9) THIRD PARTY SITES AND MICROSITES
1) HOW WE USE YOUR DATA
Wood Life (and trusted partners acting on our behalf) use your personal data:
- to provide goods and services to you;
- to make a tailored website available to you;
- to manage any registered account(s) that you hold with us;
- to verify your identity;
- for crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes;
- with your agreement, to contact you electronically about promotional offers and products and services which we think may interest you;
- for market research purposes
- to better understand your needs;
- to enable Wood Life to manage customer service interactions with you; and
- where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute).
Wood Life uses your personal data for electronic marketing purposes (with your consent) and may send you postal mail to update you on the latest Wood Life offers. Wood Life aims to update you about products & services which are of interest and relevance to you as an individual.
You have the right to opt out of receiving promotional communications at any time, by:
1. changing marketing preferences via your Wood Life subscription email account;
2. making use of the simple “unsubscribe” link in emails;
3. and/orcontacting Wood Life via the contact channels set out in this Policy.
If you are a registered member of Wood Life Store, we may collect data directly from you, as well as analysing your browsing and purchasing activity, both on-line and in store, and your responses to marketing communications. The results of this analysis, together with other demographic data, allows us to ensure that we contact you with information on products and offers that are relevant to you. To do so, we use software and other technology (automated processing).
C) Web Banner Advertising
If you visit our websites, you may receive personalised banner advertisements whilst browsing other websites. Any banner advertisements you see will relate to products you have viewed whilst browsing our websites on your computer or other devices.
D) Sharing data with third parties
d1) Our service providers and suppliers
In order to make certain services available to you, we may need to share your personal data with some of our service partners. These include IT, delivery and marketing service providers. Wood Life only allows its service providers to handle your personal data when we have confirmed that they apply appropriate data protection and security controls.
We also impose contractual obligations on service providers relating to data protection and security, which mean they can only use your data to provide services to Wood Life and to you, and for no other purposes.
d2) Other third parties
Aside from our service providers, Wood Life will not disclose your personal data to any third party, except as set out below. We will never sell or rent our customer data to other organisations for marketing purposes.
We may share your data with:
- credit reference agencies where necessary for card payments;
- governmental bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers where we are required to do so:
- to comply with our legal obligations;
- to exercise our legal rights (for example in court cases);
- for the prevention, detection, investigation of crime or prosecution of offenders; and
- for the protection of our employees and customers.
d3) International transfers
To deliver products to you, it is sometimes necessary for Wood Life to share your data outside of the European Economic Area. This will typically occur when you are based outside the EEA. These transfers are subject to special rules under data protection laws.If this happens, we will ensure that the transfer will be compliant with data protection law and all personal data will be secure.
Our standard practice is to use ‘standard data protection clauses’ which have been approved by the European Commission for such transfers. Those clauses can be accessed here.
d4) How long do we keep your data?
We will not retain your data for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy. Different retention periods apply for different types of data, however the longest we will normally hold any personal data is 6 years.
2) WHAT PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT?
Wood Life may collect the following information about you:
- your name, age/date of birth and gender;
- your contact details: postal address including billing and delivery addresses, telephone numbers (including mobile numbers) and e-mail address;
- purchases and orders made by you;
- your on-line browsing activities on Wood Life Store website;
- when you make a purchase or place an order with us, your payment card details;
- your communication and marketing preferences;
- your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses;
- your location;
- your correspondence and communications with Wood Life; and
- other publicly available personal data, including any which you have shared via a public platform (such as a Twitter feed or public Facebook page).
Our websites are not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.This list is not exhaustive and, in specific instances, we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this Policy. Some of the above personal data is collected directly, for example when you set up an on-line account on our websites, or send an email to our customer services team. Other personal data is collected indirectly, for example your browsing or shopping activity.
We may also collect personal data from third parties who have your consent to pass your details to us, or from publicly available sources.
3) HOW WE PROTECT YOUR DATA
Wood Life is committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure.
Our security measures include:
- encryption of data;
- regular cyber security assessments of all service providers who may handle your personal data;
- regular scenario planning and crisis management exercises to ensure we are ready to respond to cyber security attacks and data security incidents;
- daily penetration testing of systems;
- security controls which protect the entire Wood Life Store IT infrastructure from external attack and unauthorised access; and
- internal policies setting out our data security approach and training for employees.
4) WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP PROTECT YOUR DATA
Wood Life will never ask you to confirm any bank account or credit card details via email. If you receive an email claiming to be from Wood Life asking you to do so, please ignore it and do not respond.
If you are using a computing device in a public location, we recommend that you always log out and close the website browser when you complete an online session.
5) YOUR RIGHTS
You have the following rights:
- the right to ask for a copy of personal data that we hold about you (the right of access);
- the right (in certain circumstances) to request that we delete personal data held on you; where we no longer have any legal reason to retain it (the right of erasure or to be forgotten);
- the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you (the right of rectification);
- the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you and to object to us using / holding your personal data if we have no legitimate reasons to do so (the right to object);
- the right (in certain circumstances) to ask us to ‘restrict processing of data’; which means that we would need to secure and retain the data for your benefit but not otherwise use it (the right to restrict processing); and
- the right (in certain circumstances) to ask us to supply you with some of the personal data we hold about you in a structured machine-readable format and/or to provide a copy of the data in such a format to another organisation (the right to data portability).
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the contact details set out below.
6) LEGAL BASIS FOR USING DATA
We are required to set out the legal basis for our ‘processing’ of personal data.
A) Legal basis for Wood Life processing customer personal data
Wood Life collects and uses customers’ personal data because it is necessary for:
- the pursuit of our legitimate interests (as set out below);
- the purposes of complying with our duties and exercising our rights under a contract for the sale of goods to a customer;
- orcomplying with our legal obligations.
In general, we only rely on consent as a legal basis for processing personal data in relation to sending direct marketing communications to customers via email or text message.
Customers have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Where consent is the only legal basis for processing, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn.
a2) Our legitimate interests
The normal legal basis for processing customer data, is that it is necessary for the legitimate interests of Wood Life, including:
- selling and supplying goods and services to our customers;
- protecting customers, employees and other individuals and maintaining their safety, health and welfare;
- promoting, marketing and advertising our products and services;
- sending promotional communications which are relevant and tailored to individual customers (including administering the Sparks loyalty scheme);
- understanding our customers’ behaviour, activities, preferences, and needs;
- improving existing products and services and developing new products and services;
- complying with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- preventing, investigating and detecting crime, fraud or anti-social behaviour and prosecuting offenders, including working with law enforcement agencies;
- handling customer contacts, queries, complaints or disputes;
- managing insurance claims by customers;
- protecting Wood Life, its employees and customers, by taking appropriate legal action against third parties who have committed criminal acts or are in breach of legal obligations to Wood Life;
- effectively handling any legal claims or regulatory enforcement actions taken against Wood Life; and
- fulfilling our duties to our customers, colleagues, shareholders and other stakeholders.
By using our website, you (the visitor) agree to allow third parties to process your IP address, in order to determine your location for the purpose of currency conversion. You also agree to have that currency stored in a session cookie in your browser (a temporary cookie which gets automatically removed when you close your browser). We do this in order for the selected currency to remain selected and consistent when browsing our website so that the prices can convert to your (the visitor) local currency.
1) What are cookies?
2) Information collected
3) How are cookies managed?
The cookies stored on your computer or other device when you access our websites are designed by:
- Wood Life, or on behalf of Wood Life, and are necessary to enable you to a make purchases on our website;
- third parties who participate with us in marketing programmes; and
- third parties who broadcast web banner advertisements on behalf of Wood Life.
4) What are cookies used for?
The main purposes for which cookies are used are:
1. For technical purposes essential to effective operation of our website, particularly in relation to on-line transactions and site navigation.
2. For Wood Life to market to you, particularly eb banner advertisements and targeted updates.
3. To enable Wood Life to collect information about your browsing and shopping patterns, including to monitor the success of campaigns, competitions etc.
4.To enable Wood Life meet its contractual obligations to make payments to third parties when a product is purchased by someone who has visited our website from a site operated by those parties.
5) How do I disable cookies?
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this will depend on the browser you use, please consult your individual browser regarding the process for their specific settings.
6) What happens if I disable cookies?
This depends on which cookies you disable, but in general the website may not operate properly if cookies are switched off. If you only disable third party cookies, you will not be prevented from making purchases on our sites. If you disable all cookies, you will be unable to complete a purchase on our sites.
7) DATA PROTECTION OFFICER
Wood Life has appointed Sylvia Fleming as our Data Protection Officer to ensure we protect the personal data of our customers (and others) and comply with data protection legislation. If you have any questions about how Wood Life uses your personal data that are not answered here, or if you want to exercise your rights regarding your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Further information, including contact details, is available at https://ico.org.uk.